Friday 1 March 2013

Your Donation makes a Difference!

So you hear the news....
You have MS..... 
Now what do you do??
Well you have two options:
1. You can be angry and become discouraged with life
or
2. You can get in touch with the MS Society team





After being diagnosed I was told by doctors to get in contact with the MS Society.  This organization provides services and programs for people affected with Multiple Sclerosis.  They offer educational classes, leisure programs and host social events.  Studies have shown that supportive programs help decrease the risk of depression and enhance quality of life. 
The first class I attended at the MS Society was called 'Tax Talk.'  In this class we were educated on our disability rights and given information on how to file a tax return and how to claim medical expenses.  I found this class very informative because an MS diagnosis comes with a very high price tag.  The price of medication, vitamins, mobility equipment, modifying equipment and any other assisting devices.  If you think going back to work will help contribute to these expenses, you could be right........provided your employer will take you back.
Another thing I really appreciate about the MS Society team is that they ADVOCATE for you!  With MS 'some' employers don't consider you an asset but see you as a liability.  In a meeting with my work, 3 weeks after my diagnosis, they said they were considering terminating me but wouldn't because "MS can get better and when it does call us." Then I was put on medical leave.
I've grown a thick skin to the ignorant comments people say about MS.  
After the meeting with my work I contacted the MS Society and asked them if my rights were being violated.  Within 1 hour I was given a list of contacts on who to call and an MS Society worker offered to come with me and speak with my employer.  These guys mean business lol.
Having MS means you will face difficulties finding employment and being accommodated for.  The MS Society not only fights for you but educates you on how to advocate for yourself.  Till this day, I have not received  a formal apology for their inappropriate statement and action.  
Human Rights must be protected!            
As a result of having these programs and services available for people with MS, they are able to transition back into the community with more confidence, hope and support. 
So if your wondering where your donation is going, it's  going towards changing someone's life for the better.







'Let's make MS History' ONLINE DONATION:
http://mssoc.convio.net/site/TR/Walk/AlbertaandNorthwestTerritoriesDivision?px=1680663&pg=personal&fr_id=2038

MS Society website:
http://mssociety.ca/alberta/edmonton/

Alberta Human Rights:
http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca/


No comments:

Post a Comment